Public Benefits

See All Topics
If your local Department of Social Services (DSS) believes that you may have a problem with drug and or alcohol abuse, they can refer you for an evaluation. Depending on the county you live in, either someone from DSS may do your evaluation or DSS may send you to a substance abuse treatment provider office for an evaluation.  If you refuse to go, your application for benefits will be denied. If you are already receiving benefits and you refuse to go, your benefits can be stopped.
Can my partner with me if I receive public assistance? Your local Department of Social Services (DSS) cannot restrict who lives with you. However, who you live with may affect the amount of benefits that you receive. For example, if you are married and your partner lives with you, you both must apply for public assistance. If either of you has income, it will be counted against both of you. The same is true for parents and children under age 21.
Para ver este artículo en español por favor visite aquí. (To view this article in Spanish, visit here.)
If you want to apply for SNAP benefits in Monroe, Ontario, Seneca, or Wayne County, you may contact the Nutrition Outreach and Education Program Coordinator (NOEP) at Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc. at: Monroe County: 585-325-2520 Ontario, Seneca, or Wayne County: 315-781-1465.