Staff Paralegal - Olean
The Olean office of Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc. ® (LawNY) has an immediate opening for a Staff Paralegal who will work as part of a project to provide civil legal services to victims of crime, including survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault. The Paralegal will work under the supervision of project staff attorneys providing civil legal help for victims on a range of issues, including orders of protection, custody, support, housing, public benefits, employment, health, education and consumer law, as well as victims’ rights enforcement. LawNY is a not-for-profit law firm providing civil legal services to low-income clients in a 14-county area of western New York, including the Finger Lakes and Southern Tier regions. The Olean office primarily serves residents of Cattaraugus County.
Core Responsibilities include:
- File maintenance and organization
- Scheduling appointments and maintaining attorney calendar
- Drafting client correspondence
- Drafting court orders and circulating them to opposing counsel
- Assisting attorneys in the preparation of cases, including conducting legal research and preparing drafts of legal documents and memorandum, as permitted by law and ethical considerations.
- Screening and intake of referred and potential clients
- Attending meetings with partner organizations
- Assisting with grant reporting & compliance with quarterly reporting
The applicant must be detail-oriented and have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment. The applicant must also have the caring, patience, and emotional maturity to help low-income people overcome crisis situations. Due to COVID-19, LawNY staff are working remotely all or part of the week. LawNY maintains an extensive safe operations plan and seeks to ensure the safety of both our staff and our clients. All staff are still required to fulfill their professional obligations, which may require direct in-person contact with clients and in-person appearances in court or administrative agencies as needed to perform the functions of their role.
LawNY is committed to equitable inclusion across race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, ability, sex, religion, economic circumstances, ethnicity, national origin, and culture. We are striving to transcend the construct of race and be an anti-racist law firm. We encourage staff to bring their whole selves to work each day and pledge to celebrate every aspect of who they are.
- Bachelor's degree, Associate’s degree, and/or relevant work experience, is required.
- Applicants must be organized and have excellent interpersonal and writing skills.
- Applicants must have a demonstrated commitment to helping poor and disadvantaged people overcome institutional barriers to legal access.
- Prior experience with low-income and other oppressed communities and clients.
- Lived experience with our client communities highly desired.
- Strong problem-solving abilities, time management, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work under deadline and manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to empathize and sensitively respond to people in crisis situations.
- Experience with the use of trauma informed care practices is highly preferred.
- Excellent use of Google Drive/GSuite, Word, and Excel; database programs a plus.
- Proficiency in Spanish is an advantage but is not required.
- Passion for social justice and commitment to the mission of LawNY.
Salary: Salary is dependent on experience and based on a pay scale with annual increments. The salary for a Paralegal who is credited with five years of experience is $35,000. The initial salary will increase annually based upon LawNY’s salary scale. LawNY provides an excellent health insurance, disability and employee benefits package as well as generous leave provisions.
Procedure: Applicants should submit a letter of interest, resume, three references and a writing sample to the attention of Jeffrey Reed, Managing Attorney. All applications and inquiries should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org only. Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc. ® (LawNY) is an equal opportunity employer. LawNY encourages applications from diverse candidates. LawNY welcomes applications regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or any other consideration protected by law. This position is considered non-exempt pursuant to the Fair Labor Standards Act