Staff Attorney - Jamestown
POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT (November 2020)
JAMESTOWN, NEW YORK
FULL-TIME STAFF ATTORNEY
The Jamestown office of Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc. LawNY® has an immediate opening for a full-time Staff Attorney to provide legal advice and representation to low-income clients with civil legal problems. This is a general practice position, which will include bankruptcy, home mortgage and tax foreclosure, employment, public benefits and housing. Knowledge of family law and victim's rights would also be a benefit.
LawNY® is a not-for-profit organization which provides civil legal services to low-income clients in a fourteen-county region in western New York State. The Jamestown office serves Chautauqua County in western New York. LawNY® practices in a wide variety of courts, including justice court, state and county court, bankruptcy court and federal court, as well as administrative agency proceedings. Program staff includes attorneys and paralegals who work across areas of specialization to bring a holistic approach to addressing issues affecting our clients and communities. LawNY® focuses on meeting the legal needs of individual clients, as well as addressing systemic problems that create barriers for clients living in poverty.
Requirements: Applicants must be admitted to the New York State Bar. A practice order may be obtained for up to 18 months for law school graduates or attorneys admitted to practice in another state. Applicants should have relevant legal experience and a demonstrated commitment to working with low-income families and individuals, as well as excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Assistance and legal advocacy related to helping low-income people maintain their housing, housing subsidies and income supports.
- Providing representation in administrative hearing forums and the court system to challenge mortgage and tax foreclosure matters, illegal housing practices, wrongful public benefit determinations, evictions and bankruptcy proceedings.
- Client interviews and investigation.
- Represents clients zealously within the bounds of the Rules of Professional Conduct.
- Data collection and file maintenance.
- Outreach activities.
- Relationship-building with court staff, community groups and other stakeholders.
The applicant must have the caring, patience, and emotional maturity to help low-income people overcome crisis situations. Due to COVID-19, LawNY® staff are working remotely all or part of the week. LawNY® maintains an extensive safe operations plan and seeks to ensure the safety of both our staff and our clients. All staff are still required to fulfill their professional obligations, which will require direct in-person contact with clients and in-person appearances in court or administrative agencies as needed to perform the functions of their role.
LawNY® is committed to equitable inclusion across race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, ability, sex, religion, economic circumstances, ethnicity, national origin, and culture. We are striving to transcend the construct of race and be an anti-racist law firm. We encourage staff to bring their whole selves to work each day and pledge to celebrate every aspect of who they are.
- Prior legal experience with low-income and other oppressed communities and clients.
- Lived experience with our client communities is highly desired.
- Strong problem-solving abilities, time management, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work under deadline and manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to empathize and sensitively respond to people in crisis situations. Excellent use of Google Drive/GSuite, Word, and Excel; database programs a plus.
- Proficiency in Spanish is an advantage but is not required.
- Passion for social justice and commitment to the mission of LawNY®.
Salary: Salary is dependent on experience and based on a pay scale with annual increments. The beginning salary for a Staff Attorney with no prior experience is $50,000, and the salary for a Staff Attorney with five years of relevant experience is $57,500 as per the LawNY® salary scale. We also provide an excellent package of fringe benefits, including health, disability, and life insurance, as well as generous leave provisions.
Procedure: Applicants should submit a letter of interest, resume, three references and a writing sample to the attention of Mr. Lynn L. Hartley, Esq., Managing Attorney. All applications and inquiries should be sent by email to email@example.com only. Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc. LawNY® is an equal opportunity employer. LawNY® encourages applications from diverse candidates. LawNY® welcomes applications regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or any other consideration protected by law. This position is considered Exempt pursuant to the Fair Labor Standards Act.