OVS Staff Attorney- Geneva
October 21, 2019
POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT OVS STAFF ATTORNEY POSITION IN GENEVA, NY
Position Summary The Geneva office of (LawNY®) has an immediate opening for an enthusiastic staff attorney to join our team. This position provides an exciting opportunity to advocate for the rights of victims of crime, largely in the context of family court litigation, through a grant funded by the Office of Victim Services. The position will work closely with staff from a local domestic violence advocacy agency. Familiarity with the dynamics of domestic violence is an advantage.
Program Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc.® (LawNY®) is a not-for-profit law firm which works to eliminate barriers to justice by providing civil legal services to low-income clients in a fourteen-county region in the Finger Lakes and western New York State. The Geneva office serves five of those fourteen counties (Livingston, Ontario, Seneca, Wayne and Yates) and provides representation primarily in the areas of housing, family law, government benefits, elder law, civil rights and consumer law. We work to achieve individual and systemic change through litigation, administrative advocacy, and partnership with community organizations. Our 30 member Geneva staff includes attorneys, paralegals, and a legal support team who work closely across areas of specialization to bring a holistic approach to addressing law-related issues affecting our clients and communities.
● Admission to New York State bar, ability to waive in, or ability to practice under LawNY’s practice order as a law school graduate who has taken the bar exam pending passage
● A strong commitment to helping low-income and marginalized persons overcome institutional barriers to access housing and income supports and a passion for addressing systemic injustices
● Excellent written, oral communication, research, and organizational skills
● Ability to establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with colleagues, community organizations and government agencies
● Ability to work effectively both collaboratively and independently
● Dedication to working in and sustaining an environment that enables staff and clients to feel empowered, valued, respected, and safe
● Highest ethical standards
● Relevant legal experience and/or familiarity with family law issues
● Fluency in Spanish
Start Date November/December 2019
Compensation Salary is competitive and based on a formal salary scale dependent on years of relevant experience. For example, the entry level annual salary for a newly admitted attorney with no practice experience is $50,000 and increases to $56,000 for an attorney with five years of experience.
LawNY® provides an excellent benefits package including health, dental and vision insurance, generous leave provisions, retirement plan, paid parental leave, disability coverage, a flexible and accommodating work schedule, and numerous opportunities for professional development and other benefits.
To Apply: Applicants should submit 1) a cover letter describing qualifications, 2) resume, and 3) the name and contact information of three references by November 4, 2019 to ensure full consideration. Applications will be accepted beyond that date until the position is filled. Applications should be sent by email to Deputy Director Kate Woods at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc.® (LawNY®) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. LawNY® encourages applications from diverse candidates. LawNY® welcomes applications regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or any other consideration protected by law. This position is considered exempt pursuant to the Fair Labor Standards Act.