AmeriCorps Member - Geneva
AMERICORPS MEMBER – LEGAL ASSISTANT
ACCESS TO JUSTICE PROJECT (Geneva, NY)
Project Description: The Geneva office of Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc.® (LawNY®) has one AmeriCorps position available at its office located in Geneva, New York. This position is contingent upon continued federal and state funding for our project. LawNY® is a not-for-profit law firm which provides civil legal services to low-income clients in a fourteen-county region in western New York State. The Geneva office serves five of those fourteen counties (Livingston, Ontario, Seneca, Wayne, and Yates) and provides representation primarily in the areas of housing, public benefits, family, education, consumer, health and elder law. LawNY® has six other offices located in Bath, Elmira, Ithaca, Jamestown, Olean and Rochester, New York. The AmeriCorps members will work as legal assistants and will be offered the opportunity for direct, substantive legal experience, excellent training and mentoring, and a chance to make a critical difference in the lives of poor people and their communities. They will team with dedicated professionals, including other AmeriCorps members, in an established poverty law program.
AmeriCorps Member Benefits:
- $17,170 annual stipend
- Segal AmeriCorps Education Award (currently set at $5,920) upon successful completion of service
- Deferment of qualified federal and some private student loans
- Year-long position with the possibility of a 2nd year
- Health care
- Child care assistance, if eligible
- Intensive training and member support
- Members typically qualify for SNAP and HEAP benefits
- Provide screening and intake for poor persons seeking civil legal assistance;
- Assist staff attorneys in providing legal services to clients;
- Work with community agencies serving the poor to strengthen collaborations;
- Provide outreach and community education for targeted groups/clients;
- Assist in the recruitment and support of volunteer lawyers, students, and community members;
- Participate on relevant staff committees/work groups;
- Participate in impact cases or projects.
Member Qualifications: Applicants should have a bachelor’s degree or at least two years of college or equivalent experience. Prior experience working with the poor or disadvantaged is preferred. Members should have a personal commitment to eliminating poverty and its effects in our communities and to high standards of professional performance.
Application Procedure: All applications received will be considered until the position is filled. Member terms are for a one year period and depending on final contract provisions must begin 12/1/18.
Applicants should email:
(1) a cover letter of interest,
(2) resume, and
(3) the names of three references
to the attention of: Kate Woods, Managing Attorney of the Geneva office of LawNY®, at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc.® (LawNY) is an equal opportunity employer. LawNY encourages applications from diverse candidates. LawNY welcomes applications regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or any other consideration protected by law. This position is considered non-exempt pursuant to the Fair Labor Standards Act.