AmeriCorps Member- Ithaca
POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT (April 2018)
AMERICORPS MEMBERS – LEGAL ASSISTANT
ACCESS TO JUSTICE PROJECT (Ithaca, NY)
The Ithaca office of Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc.® (LawNY®) has (1) six-month AmeriCorps positions available in our Access to Justice Project, a partnership between LawNY and AmeriCorps, America’s most prominent volunteer service program. LawNY® is a not-for-profit law firm which provides civil legal services to low-income clients in a fourteen-county region in western New York State. The Ithaca office serves Tompkins and Tioga County residents and provides representation primarily in the areas of landlord/tenant, housing, foreclosure, public benefits, re-entry, employment, health, family and elder law. LawNY® has six other offices located in Bath, Rochester, Geneva, Elmira, Jamestown and Olean, New York.
AmeriCorps members will work as legal assistants, and will be offered the opportunity for direct, substantive legal experience, excellent training and mentoring, and a chance to make a critical difference in the lives of poor people and their communities. They will team with dedicated professionals, including other AmeriCorps members, in an established poverty law program.
AmeriCorps Member Benefits:
- $8,585 living allowance for six month position
- Segal AmeriCorps Education Award (currently set at $2907.50) upon successful completion of (6) months of service
- Deferment of qualified federal and some private student loans
- Possibility of year long position renewal, funding permitting
- Health care
- Child care benefit, if eligible
- Intensive training and member support
- Members typically qualify for SNAP and HEAP benefits
- Provide screening and intake for poor persons seeking civil legal assistance;
- Assist staff attorneys in providing legal services to clients;
- Work with community agencies serving the poor to strengthen collaborations;
- Provide outreach and community education for targeted groups/clients;
- Assist in the recruitment and support of volunteer lawyers, students and community members;
- Participate on relevant staff committees/work groups;
- Participate in impact cases or projects.
Applicants should have at least two years of college or equivalent experience. Prior experience working with the poor or disadvantaged is preferred. Members should have a personal commitment to eliminating poverty and its effects in our communities and to high standards of professional performance.
All applications received will be considered until the positions are filled. Applicants should email a letter of interest, a resume, and the names of three references to the attention of Gregg Thomas, Managing Attorney of the Ithaca office of LawNY®, at the following email address: lawnyapplications"at"lawny"dot"org. If selected, the position will start immediately or no later than 6/1/18 and run six months through 11/30/18.
Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc.® (LawNY) is an equal opportunity employer. LawNY encourages applications from diverse candidates. LawNY welcomes applications regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or any other consideration protected by law. This position is considered non-exempt pursuant to the Fair Labor Standards Act.