AmeriCorps Legal Assistants- Jamestown
The Jamestown office of Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc.® (LawNY) has up to three (3) AmeriCorps positions available at its office located in Jamestown, New York. LawNY® is a not-for-profit law firm which provides civil legal services to low-income clients in a fourteen-county region in western New York State. The Jamestown office serves Chautauqua County and provides representation primarily in the areas of housing, public benefits, family, consumer and elder law. LawNY® has six (6) other offices located in Bath, Elmira, Ithaca, Olean, Geneva and Rochester, New York.
The AmeriCorps member will work as a legal assistant, and will be offered the opportunity for direct, substantive legal experience, excellent training and mentoring, and a chance to make a critical difference in the lives of poor people and their communities. They will team with dedicated professionals, including other AmeriCorps members, in an established poverty law program.
AmeriCorps Member Benefits:
- $17,170.00 annual stipend;
- Segal AmeriCorps Education Award (currently set at $5,815.00) upon successful completion of service;
- Deferment of qualified federal and some private student loans;
- Year long position with possibility of 2nd year;
- Health care;
- Child care benefit, if eligible;
- Intensive training and member support; and
- Members typically qualify for SNAP and HEAP benefits.
- Provide screening and intake for poor persons seeking civil legal assistance;
- Assist staff attorneys in providing legal services to clients;
- Work with community agencies serving the poor to strengthen collaborations;
- Provide outreach and community education for targeted groups/clients;
- Assist in the recruitment and support of volunteer lawyers, students and community members;
- Participate on relevant staff committees/work groups; and
- Participate in impact cases or projects.
Applicants should have a bachelor’s degree or at least two (2) years of college or equivalent experience. Prior experience working with the poor or disadvantaged is preferred. Members should have a personal commitment to eliminating poverty and its effects in our communities and to high standards of professional performance.
All applications received will be considered until the positions are filled. The start date for the position is on or about October 1, 2017. Applicants should e-mail a letter of interest, a resume, and the names of three (3) references to the attention of: Lynn L. Hartley, Managing Attorney of the Jamestown office of LawNY®, at the following e-mail address: lawnyapplications "at" lawny "dot" org.
Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc.® (LawNY) is an equal opportunity employer. LawNY® encourages applications from diverse candidates. LawNY® welcomes applications regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or any other consideration protected by law. This position is considered non-exempt pursuant to the Fair Labor Standards Act.