Serve New York AmeriCorps VISTA Veterans Medical-Legal Partnership Project
Program Start Date:
Members will attend a Pre-Service Orientation (July 31-August 3, 2017) and start their term of service on August 4, 2017.
Legal Assistance of Western New York®’s (LawNY®) Geneva office seeks one AmeriCorps VISTA Member to assist with developing our Veterans Medical-Legal Partnership Project. LawNY® is a not-for-profit law firm which provides civil legal services to low-income clients in a fourteen-county region in western New York State. The Geneva office serves five of those fourteen counties (Livingston, Ontario, Seneca, Wayne and Yates) and provides representation primarily in the areas of housing, public benefits, family, education, consumer, health and elder law. LawNY® has six other offices located in Bath, Elmira, Ithaca, Jamestown, Olean and Rochester, New York.
Through outreach, community education, and capacity building, the VISTA member will help LawNY® continue the development of a project that will serve and assist veterans and military families through outreach at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center (VAMC) in Canandaigua, New York. Part of this project includes recruiting and supporting pro bono attorneys. Our AmeriCorps VISTA member will also help us identify and secure resources to make this a permanent part of our service delivery system.
LawNY® is looking for a talented and dedicated AmeriCorps VISTA member to help develop the project into something that can meet the community’s needs now and for years to come. Candidates should have a bachelor’s degree, strong writing skills, and strong verbal communication skills. Prior experience working with veterans and/or low income/disadvantaged households is preferred. The member should have a commitment to eliminating poverty and its effects in our communities and to high standards of professional performance. The member’s activities will include community outreach, developing relationships with VAMC staff members, recruiting pro bono volunteer attorneys, seeking financial resources to sustain the project and finding ways to better serve the project’s clients.
Serve New York and LawNY® present an opportunity to be part of a great AmeriCorps VISTA team, excellent training and mentoring, and a chance to make a critical difference in the lives of low income people and their communities. The VISTA member will team with dedicated professionals, including other AmeriCorps members, in an established poverty law program.
Benefits of AmeriCorps VISTA Service:
- $17,170 annual stipend, paid as follows:
- $11,881 annual stipend (paid in increments bi-weekly) from AmeriCorps Serve New York VISTA Program
- $5,289 housing allowance ($440.75 per month) paid by LawNY®
- Option of a $5,815 education award or a $1,500 cash stipend presented at the end of a year of service
- Deferment of qualified federal and some private student loans
- Year long position with possibility of 2nd year
- Post-service federal employment incentives and opportunities
- Health care, child care, life insurance available
- Intensive trainings and member support
- Requires full-time service
- Applicant can have part-time outside employment
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Applicants should be enthusiastic, committed to an ethic of service and interested in serving the communities of New York State
- Self-initiative and past experience in volunteering and/or within the non-profit sector encouraged
- Honorable military experience or relationship to the Armed Forces encouraged but not required
- Access to a car is recommended
Applicants should email a letter of interest, a resume, and the names of three references to Kate Woods, Managing Attorney of LawNY®’s Geneva office, at the following email address: lawnyapplications"at"lawny"dot"org. Applicants will also need to submit an application to the general program posting at
More information about AmeriCorps and the Serve New York VISTA Program is available at http://www.tscwny.org/programs/vista-programs/. All applications will be considered until the position is filled.
Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc.® is an equal opportunity employer. Minorities, women and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.